Graduate FAQs


Got a Question? We probably have the answer here.

Q: What are the admissions requirements?

A: Applicants for regular student status must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Applicants must submit a complete application, which can be found here. An official transcript, letters of recommendation, and appropriate test scores are required. Additional materials are required by some programs, so be sure to reference the departmental webpage for details.

Q: Are there language requirements for international students?

A: Students whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo scores and, in some cases, TSE and TWE scores. A native English speaker is defined as someone who both speaks English as their first language and is a citizen of one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.

Please review the full language proficiency policy as well as minimum score requirements by department.

Q: When is the deadline for submitting an application?

A: The deadline to apply for the fall semester, with financial aid consideration, is January 1.

Q: Is an interview required?
A: An interview is not required, but applicants should consult with their prospective department or program about the possibility of scheduling a campus visit.
Q: What test scores are required?
A: Most programs require the GRE for admission to the Ph.D. program. In some cases, the GRE Subject test is also required. Test requirements for admission to a Master's program vary by program, so be sure to reference the departmental webpage for details.
Q: What is Lehigh's institutional code for GRE and TOEFL test scores?
A: Lehigh's insitutional code is 2365.
Q: My references did not receive the recommendation request via email. What should I do?
A: You can resend the information to your recommenders using the "Send Reminder" option in the "Take Action" list box listed next to each of them in your Activity Log: Click on the name of the school to which you submitted, or will submit, your application if your recommenders' names are not initially displayed. If they do not receive the messages, you will want to have them and their institutions adjust their Spam filters by white listing "," then send new reminders, or get alternate email addresses from them and enter them using the "Edit Recommender" option. If you edit an email address, a reminder is automatically sent to the new address.
Q: Is it possible to take courses without being admitted to a degree program?
A: Applicants may request admission as non-degree students for a limited number of courses and credits. A non-degree application may be filled out here by selecting the "Non-degree" option attributed to the department of your choice.
Q: What are the credit requirements for the master's degree?
A: The minimum requirement for the master's degree is 30 credits. Some programs require additional course work, a master's thesis, or a comprehensive examination.
Q: Is it possible to transfer credits towards a graduate degree?
A: Transfer credits can only be applied towards a master's degree. A maximum of 9 credits can be transferred.
Q: What are the tuition charges?
A: The charges for the academic year 2020-2021 are:
  Tuition: $1,500/credit (please note this amount is subject to change annually)
Q: Is financial aid available?
A: Full-time students may apply for financial aid in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. All applicants who apply by the appropriate deadline are considered for positions of Graduate Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, as well as University, College, and Departmental Fellowships, where applicable. Student loans are available through the Office of Financial Aid. Applicants who are teaching and who apply for additional coursework or a degree program may be eligible for a special educator tuition rate.
more >
Q: Is on-campus housing available?
A: Graduate student housing is available on and off campus within close proximity of the University.
Q: Do you offer an orientation program for new graduate students?
A: An orientation program is held during the week prior to the beginning of classes. Information is available on the web.
Q: What support services are offered to graduate students?
A: The Office of Graduate Student Life offers a number of services. The Graduate Student Council is organized to sponsor activities and promote graduate student interest.
Q: Are any special transcript procedures needed for International Students?
A: The only potential extra procedures for international students are for those coming from Chinese Institutions. These applicants have the option to request and submit official transcripts directly through the graduate application, in lieu of sending paper transcripts. Requests are submitted and processed by CHESICC. A service fee of $12 is charged by CollegeNET. After entering your college/institution in the educational history section of the graduate application, you will have the option to order official documents.
The processing time for the CHESICC documents is approximately 20 days.